Issue:  Vol. 47 / No. 49 / 7 December 2017
 

Ex-Bay Area basketball coach accused of orally copulating boy headed to trial

A case involving a former Bay Area elementary school basketball coach accused of orally copulating a 14-year-old boy and victimizing others was in court this week.

Julio Edgardo Ortiz, 36, of Menlo Park, faces numerous felony counts of committing lewd acts on a child and child endangerment, misdemeanor drunk driving, and driving on a suspended license, among other charges. A pretrial conference had been set for Monday, October 24, but it was continued to November 15. The case is set for trial January 9, 2017.

Ortiz, a former Redwood City elementary school basketball coach, was arrested after a California Highway Patrol officer spotted his parked car with the engine running at 11:15 p.m. September 18, 2015 at Vista Point #3 off Highway 280. When the officer checked the car, he allegedly saw Ortiz orally copulating the boy, whom Ortiz had met while coaching him two years earlier, San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said in a summary of the case. Ortiz allegedly was under the influence at the time of his arrest.

Since Ortiz’s arrest, two more victims have come forward, Wagstaffe said. He didn’t provide details about the additional victims, but he indicated that in addition to the September incident, Ortiz had also been involved with victims from January 2013 to March 2014.

Ortiz remains in custody at Redwood City’s Maguire Correctional Facility on $1.5 million bail.

Monica Toole, who’s listed as Ortiz’s attorney, didn’t respond to an interview request.

— Seth Hemmelgarn, October 26, 2016 @ 2:12 pm PST
Filed under: Uncategorized


RSS feed for comments on this post.

Comments are disabled at this time.


Follow The Bay Area Reporter
Newsletter logo
twitter logo
facebook logo