Issue:  Vol. 46 / No. 38 / 22 September 2016
 

South Africa bans anti-gay US pastor

Anti-gay U.S. pastor Steven Anderson and his entourage won’t be allowed to enter South Africa for the church’s “Soul-Winning Marathon” in Johannesburg Sunday, Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba announced this week.

(Anti-gay Arizona-based pastor Steven Anderson had planned visit to South Africa. Photo: Courtesy Facebook)

(Anti-gay Arizona-based pastor Steven Anderson had planned visit to South Africa. Photo: Courtesy Facebook)

“Steven Anderson and members/associates of his church are prohibited from entering the Republic of South Africa. I have identified Anderson and associates as undesirable persons. Undesirable persons are barred from traveling to South Africa,” said Gigaba in a Tuesday, September 13 release.

“We have a duty to prevent harm and hatred in all forms against LGBTI, as any other person in a democratic state,” he added. “We would never encourage any individual to come from their own country to promote such backward and savage views in our country, particularly under religious pretexts; because religious people should be more active in promoting tolerance.”

Anderson was in the news in June for celebrating the massacre at Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida that left 49 people dead. He reportedly told congregants at his Arizona-based Faithful Word Baptist Church that there are now “50 less pedophiles in this world.”

In 2014, Anderson called for LGBT people to be executed.

The Sacramento native, who now resides in and operates his church in Tempe, Arizona didn’t respond to the Bay Area Reporter‘s request for comment.

Gigaba made his decision based on a dossier, petition, and a section of the country’s Immigration Act in its constitution.

All Out and Gay SA Radio headed up the petition campaign supported by OUT LGBT Well-being and Forum for the Empowerment of Women. Representatives of the organizations submitted a petition signed by more than 60,000 people from around the world earlier this month.

The section of the immigration law allows South African authorities to deny entry to any foreigner who is a “member of or adherent to an association or organization advocating the practice racial hatred or social violence.”

Hendrik Baird, station manager of Gay SA Radio, and Matt Beard, executive director of All Out, praised Gigaba’s decision,

“Yesterday was a shining moment in the history of this country,” Baird wrote to the B.A.R.

“Hate, disguised in whatever form, is unacceptable and name calling and insults by foreign individuals and groups with hidden agendas will not be tolerated,” said Baird, a 53-year-old gay man. “The minister’s decision … was indeed the right one.”

“We are proud of the minister for standing up for the rights of LGBTI, women and other minority groups, which are the targets of Anderson and his hate group,” he added.

Baird said Gigaba’s decision spawned an outpouring of gratitude from South African LGBTs and supporters.

“We have been flooded with emotional responses from countless South Africans from all walks of life,” he added. “People were saying they were crying when the minister announced his decision, while others have been celebrating the strong message that the minister’s decision sent to the world.”

– reported by Heather Cassell

— Cynthia Laird, September 15, 2016 @ 11:26 am PST
Filed under: Uncategorized


BAR photo too hot for web platform

(Too hot for web platform: Tierra Del Sol dancers perform at Oakland Pride. Photo: Rick Gerharter)

(Too hot for web platform: Tierra Del Sol dancers perform at Oakland Pride. Photo: Rick Gerharter)

Readers who view the Bay Area Reporter on Issuu.com will find something missing – the paper’s front page photo of men dancing on stage at last weekend’s Oakland Pride has been deemed to controversial for the site and was censored.

[Updated: 9/19/16: The block was lifted on the paper’s site Monday. An Issuu.com spokesman attributed the incident to a “more stringent flagging system.”]

In an email received Thursday, September 15, Issuu.com said the photo had been flagged because it did not meet the site’s Community and Safe Modes guidelines and would be excluded.

The photo shows dancers from Tierra Del Sol performing on the Latin stage at the Oakland Pride festival, held Sunday, September 11.

“Really?” asked surprised B.A.R. publisher Mike Yamashita when he heard the news. “It’s a photo of men in underwear on a public stage in broad daylight at a Pride celebration.”

Carlos Uribe, Oakland Pride spokesman, said that between 46,000 and 48,000 people attended last Sunday’s parade and festival, held in the city’s Uptown neighborhood.

The paper filed a complaint with Issuu.com but did not immediately receive a response.

Issuu Inc. is an electronic publishing platform for newspapers and other print media. It allows viewers to see the paper’s pages as .pdfs for free.

To see the front page photo, go to www.ebar.com or Bay Area residents can pick up a copy of the paper and various bars, businesses, and other locations.

— Cynthia Laird, @ 10:10 am PST
Filed under: Uncategorized


SF LGBT center director describes attack on building

sf-lgbt-center-attacked-x750

Damage at San Francisco’s LGBT Community Center (Photo: Advocate)

Someone with a pipe broke windows and a glass door at San Francisco’s LGBT Community Center in August while “shouting homophobic slurs,” Executive Director Rebecca Rolfe said Tuesday in a piece published in the Advocate magazine.

The person, whose name Rolfe didn’t provide, “was quickly caught, and the incident is being investigated as a hate crime,” she said in an email blast.

“This attack is a stark reminder of the pervasiveness of violence in the LGBT community – even in progressive places like San Francisco – and why we must continue to work to help prevent it, especially around violence fueled by homophobia and transphobia,” Rolfe said.

She described the $6,000 bill to repair damages as “a hefty and painful price tag, particularly because it takes money away from vital services supporting LGBTQ youth,” and other needs.

— Seth Hemmelgarn, September 7, 2016 @ 4:49 pm PST
Filed under: Uncategorized


Three robberies reported in Castro

Photo: Rick Gerharter

Photo: Rick Gerharter

Four people were robbed in three recent incidents in San Francisco’s Castro neighborhood, according to police. Guns were used in two of the robberies.

The most recent incident occurred at 1:50 a.m. Monday when a man approached two women who were walking near 20th and Castro streets, pointed a gun at them, and demanded their purses. The women complied, and the suspect, who was described only as a 25-year-old black male, fled north on Castro.

The victims were 21 and 22 years old, according to Officer Gizelle Talkoff, a police spokeswoman.

Less than an hour before that incident, at 1 a.m., a man approached a man who was walking home in the 200 block of Diamond Street and started a conversation with him. The suspect then punched the victim, who fell to the ground, and took his phone before fleeing.

The victim, 32, was left with a bruise to the head and chipped teeth, Talkoff said in a summary. He was taken to a hospital.

Talkoff described the suspect only as a black male in his 20s.

The first robbery happened at 1 a.m. Friday at 18th and Hattie streets, which was the site of another robbery just days earlier.

In Friday’s incident, the suspect approached the victim, who was “putting his belongings into his car,” aimed a gun at him, and demanded his property, Talkoff said. The victim, who’s 41, complied, and the man fled to a waiting getaway car, which drove off south on 18th.

The man’s cellphone, wallet, ID cards, and credit cards were taken.

Talkoff described the armed suspect only as a black male between the ages of 17 and 20.

— Seth Hemmelgarn, August 31, 2016 @ 4:24 pm PST
Filed under: Uncategorized


Man beaten, stabbed in attack by group at Dolores Park

A man suffered a life-threatening stab wound after a group of 10 men chased and beat him Sunday night at San Francisco’s Dolores Park.

Around 6:15 p.m., the man ran from the group toward 18th and Church streets, then “fell in the middle of the intersection,” Officer Gizelle Talkoff, a police spokeswoman, said in a summary.

The men punched and kicked the 25-year-old victim, and he was also stabbed in his upper torso. He was taken to a hospital.

Talkoff described the suspects only as Latino males whose ages weren’t known.

No arrests have been announced.

— Seth Hemmelgarn, @ 3:03 pm PST
Filed under: Uncategorized


New US DOJ video shows law enforcement how to work with trans community

Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 1.31.02 PMThe U.S. Department of Justice Thursday (August 25) released a training video that shows law enforcement officers how they should work with transgender people so that interactions are “respectful, professional and safe for all involved.”

The video includes three non-emergency situations showing officers talking to transgender women. Two of the interactions go smoothly, but in one, an officer laughs at a trans crime victim and uses the wrong pronoun. Another officer corrects him, and he apologizes.

Terms such as “assigned sex” and “gender identity” are explained. In a news release, DOJ officials said, “Understanding the terminology and the major issues facing the transgender community can help rebuild trust and ensure that encounters are safe for all parties. The video also emphasizes the importance of distinguishing between a threat and a stereotype, and notes that individuals who feel disrespected are less likely to have faith in or cooperate with law enforcement.”

In San Francisco, transgender people have often expressed mistrust of police.

Paul Monteiro, acting director of the DOJ’s Community Relation Service stated, “Transgender Americans, like all Americans, deserve to be treated with courtesy and respect by law enforcement officers. The information provided in this video will help strengthen the relationship between police and the transgender community, allowing for more effective investigations and safer encounters for officers and citizens alike.”

 

— Seth Hemmelgarn, August 25, 2016 @ 1:27 pm PST
Filed under: Uncategorized


Three robbed at gunpoint in Castro

Photo: Rick Gerharter

Photo: Rick Gerharter

A man robbed three women at gunpoint early Sunday morning in San Francisco’s Castro district.

Police said the incident occurred at 2:10 a.m. when a red four-door vehicle pulled up to the women, who were walking near Hattie and 18th streets.

The man got out of the vehicle, pulled out a small silver handgun, and demanded the women’s property. The women complied, and the man got into the passenger side of the vehicle, which fled west on 18th.

The suspect took two purses, two cellphones, two wallets, a U.S. passport, cash, and a backpack, police said.

Police described the suspect only as a black male who’s 20 to 25 years old.

The women weren’t injured. Two of them are 23, and one is 24.

— Seth Hemmelgarn, August 24, 2016 @ 11:15 am PST
Filed under: Uncategorized


Nude Trump statue delights at Castro

(Passersby snap photos of the naked Donald Trump statue in the Castro. Photo: Steven Underhill)

(Passersby snap photos of the naked Donald Trump statue in the Castro. Photo: Steven Underhill)

Someone erected a nude statue of Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump Thursday in San Francisco’s Castro neighborhood, delighting – or repulsing – passersby who spent the day taking photos of it.

Similar Trump statues made appearances in Los Angeles, Seattle, and New York City.

No word on who the artist is, but presumably it’s protest art.

— Cynthia Laird, August 18, 2016 @ 4:25 pm PST
Filed under: Uncategorized


Green guilty of murder in 2013 death

(Michael Sione Green. Photo: Courtesy SFPD)

(Michael Sione Green. Photo: Courtesy SFPD)

A jury in San Francisco Thursday (August 18) convicted Michael Sione Green, 26, of murder in the 2013 shooting death of Melquiesha “Mel” Warren, 23.

Warren, a lesbian, was shot after a minor collision in a parking lot near the gay Club OMG nightclub November 17, 2013. A friend who was with her was also shot but survived.

Green, who was also convicted of attempted murder, among other charges, laid his head on the table in front of him as the verdicts were read. He is set to be sentenced November 1. He faces a sentence of at least 82 years in prison.

The trial started July 13. Jurors deliberated for almost three days.

In a phone call later Thursday with the Bay Area Reporter, Amanda Buckley, 43, Warren’s mother, said, “He took my daughter’s life, now the state’s taking his life.”

The B.A.R. will have more on this story in the August 25 issue.

— Cynthia Laird, @ 3:19 pm PST
Filed under: Uncategorized


Motorcycle cop injured in Castro collision

A San Francisco police officer sustained non-life threatening injuries Wednesday when a car rear-ended the motorcycle he was riding, according to police.

The officer, who was traveling west on 16th Street, stopped at a traffic light at Sanchez around 3:15 p.m. A 30-year-old man driving a black Chrysler “failed to stop and with the front end” of his car “contacted the rear end” of the officer’s motorcycle, Officer Carlos Manfredi, a police spokesman, said in a summary. The Chrysler’s driver wasn’t arrested.

— Seth Hemmelgarn, @ 1:01 pm PST
Filed under: Uncategorized


Next Page »


Follow The Bay Area Reporter
Newsletter logo
twitter logo
facebook logo