Issue:  Vol. 48 / No. 7 / 15 February 2018

Man dies in Castro shooting

The “Pink Saturday” pre-Pride party in the Castro was abruptly shut down Saturday night after a shooting in which three people were injured, according to news reports.

[Updated Sunday, 2:30 pm: One of the injured, a 19-year-old man, died, Police Chief George Gascon told the Bay Area ReporterSunday morning. Gascon, who attended the Alice B. Toklas LGBT Democratic Club’s annual Pride breakfast, also said the early investigation into the shooting indicated is was a “known dispute,” rather than a random incident.

District 8 Supervisor Bevan Dufty also said it was his understanding it was not a random act. Dufty went to San Francisco General Hospital shortly after the incident and spoke with one of the less severely injured people.

“The police feel they’ve recovered a lot of evidence,” Dufty said.]

According to the California Beat, the shooting happened at 11:30 p.m. near the intersection of Market and Castro streets when a 19-year-old male pulled out a gun and began firing.

A man in his late teens was struck in the torso and was rushed to San Francisco General Hospital, police said. Two other victims, a male and a female, were struck by gunfire in the legs and are expected to survive their injuries, according to reports. (At right, a photo of police on the scene Saturday night after the shooting. Photo: Matt Baume)

News reports said that the suspect was arrested by police at the scene. The pistol he used was recovered as evidence.

B.A.R. reporter Matt Baume was at the scene.

“It was very unclear what had happened at first — they just shut down
the stages abruptly and made no announcements, so a lot of people
though that the event was just ending,” Baume said.

He confirmed the time at about 11:30pm.

“The subway was running very infrequently, so a big crowd gathered at
the top of the stairs,” Baume added. “The event had barricaded the stairs and would
only let a few people through at a time, then close the barricades
again until the next train came. The gap between trains was probably
about 10 minutes. There was also no designated area for cabs to pick
people up; a lot of people just started walking up Castro toward
Divisadero in the hopes of finding a cab.”

— Cynthia Laird, June 27, 2010 @ 7:15 am PST
Filed under: News

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Comments are disabled at this time.

Follow The Bay Area Reporter
Newsletter logo
twitter logo
facebook logo