Issue:  Vol. 48 / No. 3 / 18 January 2018

Police searching for missing SF man

San Francisco police are searching for a man who, according to his partner, hasn’t been seen in more than a week.

Dan Dibble, 46, said he last saw Mark Marvin, 39, (seen at left) last Thursday, October 6 at about 4 p.m.

Dibble, a bartender at the Twin Peaks bar in the Castro, said that as he prepared for work, “We kissed each other and said, ‘I love you, I love you.’ That was the last we saw of each other.” He said he’s not aware of anyone who’s seen Marvin, his partner of 17 years, since then.

“He seemed happy that day,” Dibble, 46, said. He said when he returned to their home in the 200 block of Divisadero Street at about 2:30 a.m., Marvin wasn’t there. He thought that maybe Marvin had gotten drunk and stayed at a friend’s house.

Dibble filed a missing persons report with the San Francisco Police Department on Saturday, October 8. The next day, he found Marvin’s black BMW station wagon at Baker Beach.

He said Marvin hadn’t taken anything with him, and he hasn’t found any notes that his partner left behind.

A few months ago, Dibble said, Marvin had another incident. He said that in late June, Marvin had a fight with his boss, and had gone to the Marin Headlands with a gun. When a friend found him there, the gun wasn’t loaded, Dibble said.

“I don’t know what he was trying to do,” he said of that incident. He said that Marvin had sent some “cryptic emails to friends that made them worry.”

Dibble said that Marvin had had “a little drug problem, but it wasn’t anything hard. It was more like prescription medications. … He got off those.”

He said that after the gun incident, Marvin spent just over a month at The Meadows rehab in Wickenberg, Arizona. Dibble said that there, Marvin was treated for psychological problems and addiction to the painkiller Oxycontin.

“I thought that was all in the past,” Dibble said.

Then, in September, Dibble said, Marvin’s boss lowered his wage and made Marvin sign a new contract.

“He wasn’t happy about that,” Dibble said.

He said that Marvin’s wallet, money, and keys were in his car Sunday, and the doors were locked.

“Honestly, I’m not sure at this point” what happened, Dibble said. “I would hate to think he took his own life or anything.”

He said the police have been “kind of slow.” He said they came to the house today (Friday, October 14) to pick up a piece of Marvin’s clothing.

Dibble said that he appears to be a suspect now.

“They asked me if I did it. … I said, ‘No,’ but I wanted to say, ‘Did what?’ It kind of threw me off,” Dibble said.

San Francisco Police Sergeant McAuliffe, who wouldn’t give her first name, told the Bay Area Reporter that the investigation is open and “We’re working on it 24/7.” She declined to answer further questions.

Dibble said that Marvin was “a sweetheart. He was my baby. … I could probably count on one hand how many times we fought. He wasn’t violent at all. He was a good kid … is a good kid. I’m assuming he’s still around.”

“I just want him back,” Dibble said. “It’s very frustrating.”

Marvin is 5 feet 7 inches, with brown hair and brown eyes, and weighs 135 pounds.

Anyone with information in the case is asked to call McAuliffe at the SFPD missing persons unit at (415) 558-5508 or the operations center at (415) 553-1071 .

The report number is 110 811 212.

— Seth Hemmelgarn, October 14, 2011 @ 5:46 pm PST
Filed under: Uncategorized

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Comments are disabled at this time.

Follow The Bay Area Reporter
Newsletter logo
twitter logo
facebook logo