The man accused of kicking a woman in the face just after he helped rob her following last year’s Pink Saturday party has been found guilty of charges including assault and second-degree robbery by a San Francisco jury. (The jury hung on a misdemeanor assault charge involving another victim.)
Christopher Porter-Bailey, 23, was convicted Thursday, February 13 in San Francisco Superior Court for the attack, which occurred June 30 outside the Mint Karaoke Lounge, 1942 Market Street. Porter-Bailey was arrested in July after police released a video of the incident that went viral.
Porter-Bailey’s victim, Emily, who asked that only her first name be published, watched the trial this week.
During a break, she said watching the proceedings was “extremely emotional” and “really intense.”
“It’s definitely not easy to do,” she said.
Emily, 28, said she was at the trial, which included video of her attack being shown repeatedly, because Porter-Bailey “changed my life forever, and I feel like going through this process and standing up for myself will help to bring me some closure. … He hurt me really bad, but I’m strong enough to do this.”
Going through the process “is allowing me to reclaim my life and reclaim my independence,” said Emily, who was knocked unconscious during the incident and said she was left with post-traumatic stress disorder.
Emily, who lives in San Francisco and describes herself as a straight ally, said she’d not attended the 2013 Pink Saturday celebration, which had ended just a couple hours before she was attacked at about 2 a.m. June 30. She’d gone to the Mint instead. It was the first time she hadn’t gone to the street party in years.
On the night before the LGBT Pride celebration and parade each year, the streets of the gay Castro district are shut down the Pink Saturday festival, which is attended by thousands of people.
A woman who said she’s Porter-Bailey’s mother also attended the trial before Judge Julie Tang this week, but declined to comment.
After the verdict, Erwin Fredrich, Porter-Bailey’s attorney, said, “I have no comment at this time.”
Assistant District Attorney Tiffany Harris-Sutton prosecuted the case. The next hearing in the case is Friday, February 14.