A man who was shot at last year’s San Francisco LGBT Pride celebration is suing organizers, claiming they failed to provide adequate security.
Trevor Gardner, who’s 23 and lives in Los Angeles, is suing the city’s LGBT Pride Celebration Committee for “not less than $10 million,” according to the complaint he filed Thursday (May 29) in San Francisco Superior Court.
In a brief interview Thursday, Ryan Lapine, the attorney representing Gardner, said, “San Francisco Pride abjectly failed in their responsibility to secure this event.” He said it’s “difficult to put a price tag on” Gardner’s injuries, which “are permanent in nature” and will “affect him the rest of his life.”
Gardner had been working at a booth at the June 2013 festival when he was shot. Another man also was shot in the incident. Lapine didn’t know if the second man also planned to sue Pride. It wasn’t clear Thursday whether any arrests were made in connection with the incident. Police department spokespeople didn’t immediately respond to requests for information.
Pride Committee Executive Director George Ridgely and Pride board President Gary Virginia didn’t immediately respond to interview requests Thursday. Ridgely and Virginia both joined Pride after last year’s festival.
Shortly after the incident last year, Len Broberg, a friend of Gardner and the other victim, questioned the Pride Committee’s security practices and criticized the group’s top officials for not responding to the incident.
“I know there were a lot of cops out there,” Broberg said, but “you have to do something else to control the crowd.”
(Broberg, an out gay SFPD inspector, emphasized that he was speaking as a community member and as someone who attended the Pride festival, not as an investigator in the case.)
The Bay Area Reporter will have more on this story in the Thursday, June 5 edition.