[Update]: The man charged with kicking a robbery victim in the face shortly after this year’s Pink Saturday celebration
is now a fugitive, who has been listed as a fugitive, is expected to return to custody in San Francisco soon.
San Francisco Superior Court Judge John Allen issued a bench warrant last week for Christopher Porter-Bailey, 23, of Oakland, after he failed to appear in court.
But at the time of his missed hearing, Porter-Bailey was in the custody of the Alameda County Sheriff’s Department for a previous theft case, and he’s expected to be released to San Francisco authorities soon, Alex Bastian, a spokesman for the San Francisco District Attorney’s office, said Friday (September 13) [End update].
Porter-Bailey had appeared at other hearings, including his arraignment in late July, when he pleaded not guilty to felony assault and other charges. But despite having been ordered to appear at a Friday, September 6 hearing, Porter-Bailey, who was free after posting $200,000 bail, failed to show up. “No sufficient excuse” was offered, according to court records, which list his status as fugitive.
Allen ordered the bench warrant, forfeited the previous bail, and set the new amount at $400,000.
Shortly after this year’s Pink Saturday street party, which every year draws thousands of people to the Castro on the eve of the Pride parade, the San Francisco Police Department released a video of a man kicking a woman in the face just after she’d been robbed and asked for the public’s help in finding him.
In late July, police identified Porter-Bailey as the alleged face kicker in the June 30 incident and arrested him. According to court testimony, the incident occurred outside the Mint karaoke lounge, 1942 Market Street.
Police have said a group of suspects robbed the victim, a 28-year-old San Francisco woman, of her purse, which contained her cellphone. At least two of the robbers knocked her to the pavement. Porter-Bailey kicked the woman so hard that she lost consciousness, according to police.
Porter-Bailey, who’s also known as “Mustafa,” pleaded not guilty July 29 to felony charges of second-degree robbery and assault. Both counts carry an allegation of causing great bodily injury. He also pleaded not guilty to a felony charge of battery with serious bodily injury.
Spokespeople with the SFPD declined to discuss Porter-Bailey Friday (September 13), referring questions to the San Francisco District Attorney’s office.
Reached by phone, Ruth Edelstein, the attorney representing Porter-Bailey, said she wasn’t available to discuss the case.
A woman who answered the phone at a number listed for Porter Bailey indicated she doesn’t know where he is and said, “He doesn’t live here anymore.” She declined to talk about him, and hung up the phone.
According to court records, Porter-Bailey was already on felony probation after being convicted in April of grand theft from a person. That case was in Alameda County Superior Court.
On July 16, Superior Court Judge Andrew Y.S. Cheng held two people who had been with Porter-Bailey to stand trial on charges stemming from other incidents that occurred early June 30.
Cheng found there was sufficient evidence to hold Johnay Davis, 20, and Julian Williams, 22, both of Oakland, to answer on two counts of second degree robbery, a charge of attempted second-degree robbery, and an allegation of causing great bodily injury. During Davis’s preliminary hearing, she was identified as the person who robbed the woman of her purse outside the Mint and helped Porter-Bailey attack her.
Additionally, Cheng held Williams to answer on another attempted second-degree robbery charge.
The next court date for Davis and Williams is October 9 for a pre-trial conference and to set a date for jury trial. Both are in custody.