Issue:  Vol. 47 / No. 50 / 14 December 2017
 

Man pepper sprayed, hit with bat; another robbed at gunpoint in Duboce Triangle incidents

Google image

Duboce Avenue at Castro Street. Image: Google

A 27-year-old man was pepper sprayed and hit with a bat and a 25-year-old man was robbed at gunpoint in recent incidents in San Francisco’s Duboce Triangle district, according to police.

The most recent incident occurred at about 1:50 a.m. Wednesday (April 12) at Castro Street and Duboce Avenue, near Duboce Park, when one man pepper sprayed the victim while another man hit the victim’s hand. Police indicated the second man used a bat to hit the victim.

“No words were exchanged,” police said, and the two suspects and a third man fled the area on foot.

The victim, who suffered non-life threatening injuries, was taken to a hospital.

Police described the suspects only as black males.

Nothing was taken from the victim during the incident.

The robbery occurred at 2:15 a.m. Friday (April 7) in the 100 block of Noe Street, near 14th Street.

According to police, as the victim was walking, a man “pushed him to the gourd and pointed a gun at him.” A woman went through the victim’s pockets and took his cellphone, wallet, ID, and credit cards. The two suspects and a third person fled westbound on Noe in a vehicle.

The victim wasn’t injured.

Two of the suspects were described as Hispanic males, and the female suspect was also Hispanic. Police didn’t provide further details.

— Seth Hemmelgarn, April 12, 2017 @ 12:33 pm PST
Filed under: Uncategorized


Arrests made after teens robbed near Dolores Park

Several suspects were arrested after two teenagers were robbed near San Francisco’s Dolores Park early Sunday morning (April 1).

According to police, three Hispanic males in their 20s approached the victims, who are both 19, at 20th and Church streets at about 12:40 a.m. One of the suspects took out a knife and demanded the teens’ property. Another suspect assaulted one of the victims as all three suspects took their property before fleeing in a dark sedan, Officer Giselle Talkoff, a police spokeswoman, said. Police located two of the suspects and arrested them.

The teens suffered non-life threatening injuries but were not taken to a hospital.

A sweater, cellphones, IDs, and credit cards were taken in the incident.

Police have not released the names of the men who were arrested, and a description of the third man wasn’t available.

Officer Robert Rueca, a police spokesman, said that there were more than three suspects.

In response to an email from the Bay Area Reporter, Officer Rueca said, “Two of the arrested suspects are juveniles,” and he couldn’t release their names.

Rueca said, “The other suspects are adult males,” but he wasn’t immediately able to release their names.

 

— Seth Hemmelgarn, April 6, 2017 @ 3:18 pm PST
Filed under: Uncategorized


Man starts yelling, gets assaulted in Castro

A 51-year-old man was assaulted in San Francisco’s Castro district early Monday as he left a business and started yelling, police said.

The incident occurred around 2 a.m. when the man was coming out of an establishment in the 400 block of Castro Street and “began yelling,” police said. A group of five black males between the ages of 22 and 27 heard the man and assaulted him, according to police, who didn’t say what the man had been yelling.

The victim was taken to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

No arrests have been made, and more information about the suspects wasn’t provided.

— Seth Hemmelgarn, @ 2:48 pm PST
Filed under: Uncategorized


Kaplan hosts Prop 64 forum to help expunge pot-related offenses

Lesbian Oakland City Councilwoman Rebecca Kaplan (at-large) will hold a community forum aimed at educating the public about how to expunge a marijuana criminal record under Proposition 64, the voter-approved ballot measure that legalized adult use of recreational marijuana.

(Oakland City Councilwoman Rebecca Kaplan. Photo: Jane Philomen Cleland)

(Oakland City Councilwoman Rebecca Kaplan. Photo: Jane Philomen Cleland)

While the initiative was approved last November, marijuana cannot yet be legally purchased for recreational use, as regulations are supposed to go into effect in 2018. Medical use of cannabis is allowed, as it has been for 20 years after the passage of Proposition 215.

The forum is scheduled for Wednesday, April 12 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the East Oakland Senior Center, 9255 Edes Avenue.

City Council President Larry Reid and Alameda County Supervisor Nate Miley are co-sponsoring the event.

In addition to legalizing adult recreational use of marijuana, Prop 64 also includes provisions allowing for reduction or elimination (expungement) of prior marijuana conviction criminal records.

“Prop 64 recognizes that it makes no sense to penalize individuals and communities for engaging in conduct that is widely accepted, permitted, and regulated by the city of Oakland, and which Californians have made clear that we no longer consider a crime,” Kaplan said in a statement.

Kaplan noted that the marijuana prosecutions over the years have disproportionately targeted people of color, especially African-Americans.

“Prop 64 helps end the ongoing damage caused by the ‘war on marijuana’ by letting people with prior records get them cleared,” she added. “This is a great thing, and this forum provides us the opportunity to spread the word.”

There is no cost to attend. To register, click here.

— Cynthia Laird, @ 2:19 pm PST
Filed under: Uncategorized


« Previous Page


Follow The Bay Area Reporter
Newsletter logo
twitter logo
facebook logo